Monday 1 December 2008

Day One

OK, so here goes. Day One of Wilderness City. Day One of running a blog. 

Firstly, I want to explain the title. 

Put simply, I have a love of wanting to engage with wilderness and a belief that you can do it in the city as well as out in "the wild". I want to experience both environments and I know that when in "the wild" I will undoubtedly see the human touch everywhere and when in the city I shall see "the wild" everywhere. 

It seems sensible then that the blog should be called Wilderness City. It brings two human ideas together - for they need not be seperated and too often are. 

So, you might get postings from a desolate rock in the North Sea as I watch grey seals pupping for my work on Autumnwatch, or you might get some pictures like that of the kingfisher above, taken on the urban waterway at the end of my road, or maybe even some video of a rat, the mighty mammal conqueror of the human world, surely we must admire the rat?

As a 21st century naturalist I will write, I will video and I will photograph, using all the means available to me to to put together a true picture of nature in todays world

So, thats why the name and thats what the blog shall be about - wildlife, everywhere and anywhere. Wildlife as it should be understood in the 21st century. 










No comments: